Sorry for the delay with this week’s post. I’ve had guests back to back for the past two weeks, so I haven’t done much in the way of cooking. I did, however, make peanut butter cups and meatball sliders for two Halloween events. I cheated on the slider recipe by using premade meatballs (I know, I know. I’m a horrible person. But I was in a rush!) but I might post the recipe this week anyway.
The South has had a bit of a drop in temperature this weekend , so to celebrate Florida cold–it was 65 degrees yesterday so boot weather >.>–I made up a batch of hot chocolate. I’ve got a lot of friends who LOVE hot chocolate, so they were quick to toss out much appreciated tips! The orange extract tip comes from Julie and the cinnamon sticks tip comes from Jonathon. So thanks, guys :)!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 blocks of 4.5 oz Hershey dark chocolate, crumbled
- 4 blocks of 4.5 oz Hershey milk chocolate, crumbled
- 2 blocks of Ghirardelli 60% cocoa baking chocolate, crumbled
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 1/4 tsp espresso
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Cinnamon sticks
- Combine whipping cream, milk, and sugar in medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly and vigorously for 4 to 5 minutes (do NOT bring to a boil. We only want to heat the liquids.)
- Stir in vanilla and orange extracts.
- Add espresso and salt and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until dissolved completely.
- Add chocolates to mixture and stir over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until completely melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir for 1 additional minute.
- Pour hot chocolate into your favorite mug, add a cinnamon stick, and sit down with a good book (I’m reading The Time in Between by Maria Duenas). Enjoy!